Sunday, July 18, 2010

TED talks: How we learn?

BRING ON THE LEARNING EVOLUTION!




I was just going through some of the Ted talks on the theme How we learn when i found some very intresting responces that got me thinking about my project and my workshops,

"Sir Ken Robinson hits the nail on the head when he says we must educate individuals, rather than trying to make one size fit all students. The right-brain, artistic children are seen as a nuisance in some schools because they are bored to death by the left-brain curriculum and "death by lecture" approach to presenting it. Dr. Richard Feynman, the famous physicist, was a kinesthetic learner who would roll around on the floor trying to imagine particle behavior. He would be viewed by many teachers as disruptive in the classroom.

Overall, the message we hear as children is "you're not good enough," and this is reinforced throughout our lives in the workplace and by the commercial advertising on television. Performance appraisals in business and industry most often go something like this: "Jim, you are doing fine at xyz, but you really need to work on ABC." In my case, xyz might be project management, while ABC could be juggling. I'll never be good at it, so why worry?"

This got me thinking about my school days. I was that one child in class who hated to sit in a lecture and just stare at the bored and hear the teacher go non stop for 45 mins about a subject when I'd rather be rolling in the mud and learning my own way. In school even in my senior year i used to either draw out the lesson so i could visually remember what i was learning rather than textually or stand in front of the mirror and read to myself aloud and take on different charecters and instances so I could retain better. I realised that the poems I made tunes for or the first act of Julius Ceaser I made a drawing with characters for I still remember by heart because they were catchy and interesting ways of learning. So while doing that Is the child being disruptive or innovative? What is being creative and innovative and how can you judge that with a teaching system like ours?

No comments:

Post a Comment